Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Lake Test

While on vacation I took the opportunity to test out the life support gear with a real habitat, in a real lake. Depth was about 4 feet, power coming in from the solar panels averaged 39 watts, power draw from the air pump and heaters totaled 8 watts. 


Looks like I was overly conservative in prior estimates. In the Summer at least, this should prove to be more than necessary by a long shot. It's nice to have that safety margin when lives are on the line.


Not much to see underwater as I kicked up a lot of sand and debris walking around, emplacing the habitat. I didn't get many photos as the battery ran out soon after this and I forgot the charger for this specific type of camera battery. Fuck you, Olympus, let me charge your camera the same way I charge my phone!



This one's a bit more clear, the debris cloud has settled but it's off kilter. Still gives a good idea of what conditions are like in the lake and what sort of scenery a hamsternaut would see outside the habitat.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Have you factored in any kind of heating? At night it gets really cold under water. It might be worth looking into a heat mat similar to the types they use in a vivarium. It would probably need its own solar panel and battery so it can give off more heat at night.

    I think adding basic climate control for the heat pad would be pretty easy, their are a number of raspberry pi projects that you could just get a kit with heat sensors, etc. for under $100.

    This is an example of what I mean and why it is useful. sure this about plants, but it should give you the right idea. like I said there are hundreds of projects like this.


    https://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/resources/raspberry-pi-terrarium-controller/

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't water have phenomenal heat capacity, meaning that nighttime vs daytime temperatures would be very similar? I'd think your seasonal cycles would be much more worrying than night/day cycles.

      Delete
    2. Yes, all of my habitats from the beginning have had integrated resistive heaters for that exact reason.

      Delete